Pilates is a method of exercise that began during WWI when German born Joseph Pilates began devising exercises for injured or diseased soldiers. He developed equipment to rehabilitate these patients and used springs from beds to create resistance. Today, the Pilates equipment still has the same basic elements that utilize spring tension, straps for feet and hands, head, shoulder and back supports. The Pilates method is meant to both support and challenge the body as one learns to move more efficiently.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PILATES?
The benefits of practicing Pilates include:
- Increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- Increased core strength and flexibility
- Balance and posture enhancement
- Muscular and mental coordination
- Increased bone density and joint health